Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Judoka

I've been waiting for a martial arts kit for the longest time...and when I saw Traci Reed's "At The Dojo" kit, I just had to shell out for it. So, yeah, it's my very first purchased kit,lol! I've always been happy to play with all the freebies and RAK's that's available in digi-scrap land, but sometimes, one has to succumb to something. This kit was one of it for me. For those who know the DH and I, know how into martial arts we both are. In fact, when we got back together in 2001, (love being sweeter the 2nd time around...and all that jazz!lol ) most of our bonding times were at Fight Club, a street fighting gym we joined together. Those were some of the happiest, roughest, grimiest, grungiest times of our lives! We were lucky to find an instructor who was not only a hardcore fighter but who became a good friend too. We first learned boxing, then kick-boxing, then a smattering of  judo, grappling, stick-fighting, anything self-defense. But most of all, we learned to bond with our batch-mates, seniors, instructors...and since then, we have remained friends with them.
At that time, I was working at another city 64km from Bacolod, so we just trained on weekends, both Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I remembered how I could barely climb the stairs to my clinic because of the abuse my poor body sustained over the weekends! But being young, we recovered quickly enough, and came back to the gym the next weekend.
When competitive mixed martial arts came to town, streetfighting/ self-defense took a back seat to the machismo of the octagon. Most of us girls started dropping out, while the DH kept at it, becoming senior instructor and coach, and even referee during fights.

Then we went into our arnis (Filipino stick-fighting) years. And more recently the DH has become totally enamored with judo. And this is where the photo I used from the LO came from. But it won't be the only page I'll be making from this kit...so hang around for more martial arts pages. :)


Credits: "At the Dojo" kit by Traci Reed
Template from Cindy Schneider_freebie6

Thanks for looking, loves. Goodnightie now. XOXO

3 comments:

Julia said...

I can see why you spent money on it. Very cute!

LifeAsDINKers (Ava-J) said...

Thanks Julia. It's so easy to scrap with a great kit...and a subject close to the heart, hehe. :)

Amna said...

amazing! a big WOW for the great job!