Friday, January 21, 2011

Boracay 2010

Saying a quick hello to Tita Carola for visiting my Christmas posts. Here's the rest of our Christmas celebrations...
Mes Amis,  I sure hope you're in a comfortable seat with lots of time to spare, coz this is going to be a long post, hehe. We were in Boracay for 5 days, so you can imagine the amount of photos I was able to take!
Let's get started then...

First off, this trip was a Christmas present from my parents-in-law, thank you TVI & LBI. :-)
Our last trip as a family was for Anoy Bong's birthday in 2007...so this was bound to be another adventure again!

We all met up at Bredco Port to take the ferry boat to Iloilo City.
Just before the boat left, I managed to take this photo out of my porthole. The poor window had serious scratches at the edges, but some vignetting camouflaged that,hehe!
Speaking of vignette, you will notice that most, if not all of my recent photos get that treatment. I love how the burnt edges makes the rest of the photo pop! So yeah, you will have to bear with my vignette-phase, lol! 

We were travelling with the Lacson's who were having their reunion in Boracay. And they had booked a coaster for both families to share. This is Jaime and Anoy Bong who were seated behind us. Arlene and Lisa shared the rear-most seat with Dave Lacson and another Lacson. LBI and Isa sat across the aisle from the DH and I, while Joben and Tita Ning sat in front of us. Anoy Ricky who gets motion-sickness, got a seat behind the driver, and TVI shared the front-most seat with a Lacson in-law, who had our deepest sympathy, poor guy! Even from so far away, we could hear TVI's endless prattle! He was talking for 4 hours straight, just taking a quick respite when we got to Kalibo and his grateful seatmate was able to take a nap!

This is the DH getting off the coaster when we got to Caticlan Jetty port.

The DH and Joben just being their usual kooky selves!

This is Anoy Ricky, Anoy Bong, Lisa and Isabelle (Tita Ning, not included) on their side of the multicab. Facing them were: Arlene, TVI, Jaime, the DH and I. While LBI and Joben squeezed into the front cab with the driver. This was definitely a new family record (especially with our combined girth,lol!)
When we were here in 2009, we perfected the art of fitting 9 people plus the driver into a pedi-cab (motorcycle with side-car)...so we're just leveling-up, lol!

Isabelle, when we got to the resort.

Anoy Ricky, the DH, Joben  while we were waiting for our room assignments.

This is us enjoying our welcome drink

Tita Ning in front of the room we shared. TVI, LBI and Joben had another room on the ground floor. Anoy Ricky and Anoy Bong both had rooms on the 3rd floor.

After dropping off our baggage, we came out to take photos of the pool and garden. Joben had brought his new camera and was set on learning to use his DSLR on this trip.

I really love my Gorilla-pod tripod coz it allows us to take photos like these without having to bother others. :-)

The DH and Joben heading out of the resort to check the famous Boracay sunset.

But the sunset was to elude us on the 5 days that we were there!
AZATRI and Joben kept daily vigils at sundown to take photos but they weren't all that spectacular because of the uncooperative weather. Still, we enjoyed the  colors despite the rolling clouds overhead. :)

This was taken from the balcony of the indian resto Joben, the DH and I visited the first night we were there. 

We had fruit lassi, Nepalese dumplings, samosas, 2 kinds of bread, chicken tandoori, mushroom and  lamb dishes, the names of, I couldn't remember. But I distinctly remember that we walked away really satiated, lol!

Near the entrance of the resto

We met up with the others at Boracay Peninsula, since Anoy Bong and Lisa were celebrating their wedding anniversary, and were treating everybody to dinner at Shakey's. Joben and the DH managed to put away a few slices of pizza and some pasta. But the most I could muster were a couple of mojos! Man, I was full up to here!

Walking home , we passed The Sands, one of the newer and larger hotels at Station 3. It looked chi-chi enough, save for the gaudy lights in the rooftops...but it was the holidays after all right? The good thing about being (practically) next door to a big resort is that they put out beautiful firework displays on New Year's Eve (but more of that on a latter post)

Tita Ning at breakfast. That's Jaime at the next table.

The DH getting his java fix.

Isabelle gingerly entering the surprisingly cold water of the pool

TVI got cramps while swimming, but Jaime managed to half-tow half-float him to the shallow end where Anoy Bong helped to massage him. Good job Jaime!

The DH and I  had decided to walk to the northern end of White Beach so I clipped on my pedometer and got ready to clock in our 10,000 steps for the day.
When we got to Station 1, we found this banner right at the beach, but the DH couldn't believe it was 'The' Pearl Jam performing then. It must have been just a play on words seeing that the resort throwing the party was Pearl of the Pacific. :) He knew a world famous band like Pearl Jam would more likely have their concert in Manila at the bigger venues, not in tiny Boracay.

This was at the northern-most end of White Beach.We saw that there was a walkway carved into the side of the cliff and decided to check it out.

The pathway was pretty wide and made for easy strolling. Some kids even skateboarded along it. 



This was the panorama that Photoshop stitched from a couple of shots I'd gotten. The darker hills at the back   were of mainland Caticlan.

Just a warning to Jem and Joben (the Kids), is all. :)

To cool off from the long walk, the pool was a refreshing treat. And we had it all to ourselves too, sweet!
Even better that we had clocked more than 15,000 steps walking the 5km (or was it 7?) stretch of White Beach and back.


The DH trying out his more athletic entrances into the pool...

...and Joben taking photos of him! Those guys are sweet, they genuinely enjoy each other's company and love the other to bits.

This was taken by the DH of Tita Ning and I just outside the resort before we headed out to Station 2 for dinner.

The DH loves Summer Place for the Mongolian Buffet, and we always eat there when we're in town.
This is us while waiting for our food to be served...and for the others to arrive. :)

Tita Ning and TVI

The DH, Joben and LBI. I think the DH is giving me one of his looks again. :)

Does it show that we love the food? :)

Getting our second helpings...heavy on the veggies and light on the meats. :)

Arlene and Anoy Ricky took lots of photos of the interiors while they were waiting for their food.

They had these sail-like curtains separating the diners from the passersby. Anoy Bong, when he saw these photos on FB, joked that they looked like giant thong bikinis hanging out to dry, ROFL!


TVI happily lounging after his dinner.

Tita Ning and I

We went to the Budget Mart at D'Mall for some soda and tequila...I snapped this of them at the grocery. :)

Isabelle enjoying her crazy crepes

We had a long walk back to the resort, so we paused often to rest.This is Tita Ning in front of one of the resorts we passed, with a nice ledge to sit down at. But she didn't want to linger, afraid she wouldn't be able to get back up, lol! But we all got back to the hotel safely.

The brothers hanging out on our porch, just chilling out.

The poor tequila didn't stand a chance though. I doubt if the guys got tipsy at all, despite the double shots that the DH was serving up! Still, it was a nice nightcap for them...and me (I had 2 tumblers full and got buzzed).

The next day was a bit gray and the DH decided to linger in bed while Lisa, Anoy Bong and Jaime went swimming in the pool.

Isabelle on the beach with her camera-toting parents. :)

For lunch, we went to a local fast-food resto. This photo was taken of Joben of his shades while we were waiting for our food.

We had been invited by the owners of Boracay Peninsula to have dinner with them. LBI and the Tirol siblings grew up together in Tagum, and we usually stay at their resorts when we visit Boracay. They have 3 resorts in each of the boat stations. We stayed at Boracay Peninsula (in station 2) when we were here last, and this time we were booked at Oro Beach Resort at station 3.

I wanted to take photos of all of the dishes but with the hungry hordes attacking the table, I managed only 2 clear shots. This one was of the yummy prawns.


And of the juicy oysters in butter and garlic...divine! At the end of the night, we were comparing who ate the most: LBI claimed she ate 10 of the goods, Joben and me following closely! I vaguely remember eating some sweet and sour fish and fruits. But the DH was totally in love with the ampalaya (bitter gourd) salad that was   served. He had heaps and heaps of it...and implored me to make some of the same when we got home to Bacolod. I can try Kiddo. Next time we do field work, I'll be on the look-out for ampalaya sold at the roadside stalls in the out-lying barangays.

That's it for Days 1 and 2,  I best take a break here and let you rest your eyes too, lol.

A bientot Mes Amis! :)


No comments: