Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Conversion Mission


My new external hard drive arrived 2 days ago and I'm finally happy to start off on my LightRoom adventure! My brother's friend Abby got me my Seagate GoFlex HD in Manila coz it's way cheaper than what we have locally. Plus the local stores don't even carry Seagate products. Yeah, that's the pay-off for living in the boondocks,lol! I would have wanted a less heftier drive, but since the portable HD is available only in 1T, this desktop version at 2T (yay,2T!)  is a better option, especially since I do most of my scrapping at home anyhow.
Before it arrived however, I had already started converting my PNG  files into TIFF in Bridge. I was loathe to be unproductive during the wait time...so I went off to start on my conversion. It is a bit tedious going through the designer/kit folders, but it's way easier to do the conversion in Bridge. After a while, I find myself going into auto-pilot that I can actually watch TV while converting. The main reason I was hesitant to take up LR in the beginning was because LR wouldn't work with PNG and with practically thousands of digital supplies in this format, I could not imagine going through everything just to convert them in Ps. Lucky for me, Kayla Lamoreaux taught this class...and showed me that the ever helpful Bridge would be the workhorse solution to my worries. :)

Initially I thought I could just start importing the kits (mini- and full-kits) that I really liked before I started on the stray/stand-alone  paper and element packs that I've downloaded as freebies. But I've now realized that I will have to physically organize my stash (kits, collabs, papers, elements, QPs) into 1 main scrap folder so that importing and maintaining the folder structure does not become a headache down the road.
So, despite my excitement to finally fling myself headlong into LR, it may be a few days before I can. At least until I can finish the pre-assignment I was supposed to do in the first place, sigh. Good thing the Holy Week is coming up and we've a 4-day weekend next week. I'll be happy to use the time organizing and converting. My personal version of penance, hehe. :)

But I still have a few months before August (when Kayla will take down her class from her site). I'm sure by then, I'll be happily tagging in LR, if not truly organized in LR.
This is just a short post while Bridge and Ps are humming in the background converting my PNG's and PDF's into TIFF's. 

So, if you haven't already visited Kayla's site and  her LR class for MemoryKeepers, click on the links to join us on our quest for the grail of organization via LR. :)

Bye for now! Bridge is calling me back...A Bientot!

3 comments:

Julia said...

I have an external hard drive for my scrapbooking and designing and it is still a work in progress to get it organized.

LifeAsDINKers (Ava-J) said...

You said it Julia, organizing is a challenge but I'm committed to using LR to sort my digiscrap supplies so I can create more and faster too. :)

Angel said...

Hi there! I wanted to thank you for all the wonderful things you have said on my blog. I have now added the follow button for the blog and for my facebook. Had to do some research but thanks for asking for them. Yes there will be elements for my 'Happy My Day' kit. They should be on my blog tomorrow.

Thanks again... Angel, Designs by Angel