Friday, January 13, 2012

Post Office Finds

I don't know how it is in your home country, but here in the Philippines, we've gotten used to a really patchy postal service. When we say snail mail, we actually mean the snail who has had a stroke on top of his arthrits! Yeah, pretty pathetic.

You could say we've learned to rely on courier service out here. I remember when the hubby and I were still boyfriend-girlfriend and trying to overcome a long-distance relationship while I was at med school in another island, we exchanged letters on a weekly basis, we practically supported a local business!

Except for this year, I used to send Christmas cards to our friends and relative abroad and locally. But I would send them out by mid-November at the latest. And then pray that they get delivered before the New Year.

And with internet and email and Facebook, we haven't been using our postal system at all. However, with internet comes internet shopping, so I've had to reacquaint myself with our poor post office service! I'm a late-bloomer (in so many ways than you can guess!) and my first internet purchase was a 12-piece set of bamboo crochet needles. I was on tenterhooks(no pun intended!) for a couple of weeks until I decided to visit the local office to see of they had arrived. And yay, they were in! Happiness!! I've since ordered a couple photobooks from Blurb and some personalized stuff from Artscow. And they've all arrived (after a significant wait, of course) with no incident. They don't get delivered to my house actually, I've had to toddle off to the office, wait for the OJT(on the job) trainees leaf through their logbooks and find my name, and voila, my sweet packages are in my paws.

This week I have been calling the office, but they've never called me back, so this lunch break, I went off to check on them personally. And this time, I commandeered their logbooks and searched for my items myself. And I found my package containing the 2 packs of cards I ordered from Artscow which had my nephew Ben's 1st school photo when he entered reception in the UK. One pack goes to his Muma and the other to his English Granddad. Mama was tickled pick when she opened her pack. She loves playing solitaire and I knew she'd like 'em. But she said she didn't want to play and scuff them,lol!

But while I was looking through the most recent books at the Post Office, on a lark, I asked for the logbook before September and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had another package! It turns out it's the audio CD my DH had asked me to order for him so many months ago...and which we had given up on! So yay, that was a wonderful development! My DH was so happy to find he was getting his CD after all.

And I even made a friend at the P.O., the chief of the package section offered to text me when a package of mine comes in, and also gave me his cell number, so I can text him for updates, yay! [Ideally, every time they receive a package, they log it in, and post notices that the postman-in-charge should be delivering to us, so we know to pick up the package. But for all the parcels I've received, I never got a single notice for any of them. So yeah, the postman assigned to our barangay has been slacking off in the notice-delivery department, boo.] I'm still waiting for this awesome give-away that Carina Gardner is sending my way. It's a set of 9 fabrics in fat quarters plus a cute frame ornament! I'm pretty excited to get them, and dust off my Mama's vintage sewing machine and play with Carina's cute, cute fabrics. So I should be visiting the PO again soon.

That's it from our corner of the world guys. We need to get to bed if we hope to get up for work tomorrow,hehe. The DH has been tempting me to staying home again tomorrow, the lazy guy! So it's goodnight for me now....A bientot! :)

No comments: