Today was the 1st day that the DH is taking me walking. We've decided to meet up at 20th st (my in-law's place) after work on Wednesdays and walk around the Capitol Lagoon. But today the DH didn't go to work so we're leaving our house together. :)
Our classmate, Beverly, was supposed to meet up with us too, but it seems she has a lot of work today and may not be able to make it. There's always another day for her to join us.
I read somewhere that for one to succeed with their exercise routine, she needs to find out what "style" works for her: solitary vs social, indoors vs outdoors, self-paced or competitive, etc, etc. I found out that i prefer to work out outdoors, with other people, and with some competition thrown in!
That was why all the free weights, mini-gym, thai pads, boxing gloves, punching bag and other equipment at our house never appealed to me. In spite of the DH's offer to be my personal trainer too! And primarily because i could always beg off when he'd invite me to work out with him. For a while back, i tried to force myself to do bagging for 15 mins before i sat down at the computer after work. I managed to work myself up to 30-45 mins of exercise. But ultimately, i just stopped. Sure, the punching bag was outdoors, but having Mutt & Tilda underfoot wasn't the same as having people to interact with.
When I was still working in Cadiz before we got married, I would work out at this local gym for a good hour after clinic. I loved that it had all the regular gym equipment AND a loft with a punching bag. The loft became my private place, since i was the only one who would do my stretching and boxing up there! After kick-boxing for 20-30 mins, id go down and do weight training. Afterwards, id grab a quick dinner at a barbeque-chicken joint and walk home for a shower and the nightly phone-call to my then fiance. Some days, id brisk-walk around a largish chunk of the city with ankle weights strapped on. On other days, id drop by the tennis club, either play with whoever was there...or just bounce a ball off a wall til i was drenched in sweat. Maybe it worked then because i needed to firm up for the wedding, huge incentive enough!
So, anyway, it turns out that we picked a "fine" day to go walking: it was drizzling out when we left the house! And it was such a hot day earlier too. Sigh. But i'd pocketed an umbrella into my backpack, so we were still good.
We made a quick stop at my ATM since i had to pay Malou who sent me cellfone load last night when i ran out. She works for Smart Telecom, so she's my emergency load-er, lol!
The rain had gotten stronger, making it impossible to walk outdoors so we had to find an indoor alternative quick. I didn't want to go to the mall since we wouldn't be able to sweat as much with the a/c, and the a/c dries out my contact lenses too. The DH suggested we go to a nearby school that has a tall building with an auditorium at the top. They usually use this for stair-climbing during martial arts training, so we headed that way. It was 8 floors up and on the 5th, my knees started to burn and i had to take a minute to rest. :)
When we got to the top, we found the auditorium was empty: just perfect! The DH opted to jog, and i wanted to take it slow, so i just brisk-walked. I managed 20 rounds around the auditorium, while the DH did close to double that since he alternated jogging with bursts of sprints. We heard an air-horn blare around 6.30, probably to signal that they were closing up, so we had to come down.
There wasn't a sign saying "8th floor" at the top so the 7th had to do...plus 1! :)
This is the DH and I on our way out, in front of the school map. We both had this rosy flush from our work-out, i love it!
We made a quick stop at 20th to return a food container that the MIL used to send food over last week, and another at 19th and also to leave money for Malou.
We then walked the 13 blocks to the KFC joint since it was my "secondary gain" after i accidentally cut my finger while making dinner monday night...and the DH had offered to buy me my favorite california maki wrap! I was so hungry though, i asked for an extra salad to go with the wrap. Better the salad than 2 pcs chicken with rice...which i was soooo tempted to get!
Then it was home for us and here i am, writing to you.
I love that i'm starting to work out again. I hope to keep at it for as long as i can. I've been thinking: I could go walk everyday after i log in at CHO. If i'm early enough, i can even walk all the way to my urban health centers...otherwise, i can walk half-way at least. If i can just walk to clinic 2-3 times a week, i can free up our Wednesdays for punch mitts with the DH so i can tone my arms too. That way, i tone my legs and build up stamina with walking...and tone my arms and upper body with boxing. So that when the DH and I go on holiday in November I'm not chubby-chub-chub! When posing for photos, I hate having to think of the best positions ...just to hide the belly rolls, the double chin and fat arms! So tiresome! :)
And the DH enjoyed our walk today, he just loves it when we work out together. Even when we first started with Fight Club(FC) some 10 years ago...working out was already a bonding time for us. Because we were together, we shared not only the same friends, get-togethers and experiences, even the same bruises, calluses and exams! In fact, we were the envy of some of the guys whose girlfriends or wives weren't as understanding when training (and partying) took longer than scheduled!
Back then, the DH and i were batch-mates (bravo) and we earned our brown belts at the same exam. But since then, the DH has far out-stripped me at martial arts. He's gotten promoted to black belt and junior instructor and later, senior instructor for FC. Then he also got his master("guro", teacher/sensei in Filipino) certifications for Arnis (some know it as Kali) and even taught it for some time. And for the past year, he's been training in judo. He's still white belt but he's the most senior of his class. Remind me to post our old photos from FC and from the competitions we joined.
I'm glad to be back on the fitness wagon, so wish me luck!
I hope to walk to my Lopez Jaena clinic tomorrow, so it's another early night for me. Goodnytie! A bientot!
So, anyway, it turns out that we picked a "fine" day to go walking: it was drizzling out when we left the house! And it was such a hot day earlier too. Sigh. But i'd pocketed an umbrella into my backpack, so we were still good.
We made a quick stop at my ATM since i had to pay Malou who sent me cellfone load last night when i ran out. She works for Smart Telecom, so she's my emergency load-er, lol!
The rain had gotten stronger, making it impossible to walk outdoors so we had to find an indoor alternative quick. I didn't want to go to the mall since we wouldn't be able to sweat as much with the a/c, and the a/c dries out my contact lenses too. The DH suggested we go to a nearby school that has a tall building with an auditorium at the top. They usually use this for stair-climbing during martial arts training, so we headed that way. It was 8 floors up and on the 5th, my knees started to burn and i had to take a minute to rest. :)
When we got to the top, we found the auditorium was empty: just perfect! The DH opted to jog, and i wanted to take it slow, so i just brisk-walked. I managed 20 rounds around the auditorium, while the DH did close to double that since he alternated jogging with bursts of sprints. We heard an air-horn blare around 6.30, probably to signal that they were closing up, so we had to come down.
There wasn't a sign saying "8th floor" at the top so the 7th had to do...plus 1! :)
This is the DH and I on our way out, in front of the school map. We both had this rosy flush from our work-out, i love it!
We made a quick stop at 20th to return a food container that the MIL used to send food over last week, and another at 19th and also to leave money for Malou.
We then walked the 13 blocks to the KFC joint since it was my "secondary gain" after i accidentally cut my finger while making dinner monday night...and the DH had offered to buy me my favorite california maki wrap! I was so hungry though, i asked for an extra salad to go with the wrap. Better the salad than 2 pcs chicken with rice...which i was soooo tempted to get!
Then it was home for us and here i am, writing to you.
I love that i'm starting to work out again. I hope to keep at it for as long as i can. I've been thinking: I could go walk everyday after i log in at CHO. If i'm early enough, i can even walk all the way to my urban health centers...otherwise, i can walk half-way at least. If i can just walk to clinic 2-3 times a week, i can free up our Wednesdays for punch mitts with the DH so i can tone my arms too. That way, i tone my legs and build up stamina with walking...and tone my arms and upper body with boxing. So that when the DH and I go on holiday in November I'm not chubby-chub-chub! When posing for photos, I hate having to think of the best positions ...just to hide the belly rolls, the double chin and fat arms! So tiresome! :)
And the DH enjoyed our walk today, he just loves it when we work out together. Even when we first started with Fight Club(FC) some 10 years ago...working out was already a bonding time for us. Because we were together, we shared not only the same friends, get-togethers and experiences, even the same bruises, calluses and exams! In fact, we were the envy of some of the guys whose girlfriends or wives weren't as understanding when training (and partying) took longer than scheduled!
Back then, the DH and i were batch-mates (bravo) and we earned our brown belts at the same exam. But since then, the DH has far out-stripped me at martial arts. He's gotten promoted to black belt and junior instructor and later, senior instructor for FC. Then he also got his master("guro", teacher/sensei in Filipino) certifications for Arnis (some know it as Kali) and even taught it for some time. And for the past year, he's been training in judo. He's still white belt but he's the most senior of his class. Remind me to post our old photos from FC and from the competitions we joined.
I'm glad to be back on the fitness wagon, so wish me luck!
I hope to walk to my Lopez Jaena clinic tomorrow, so it's another early night for me. Goodnytie! A bientot!


No comments:
Post a Comment